Those of us ‘of a certain age’ will remember eating proper Chocolate Concrete with mint or pink custard for Primary School Dinners. Whenever Mr Robinson gets the slightest whiff of this in the oven, he races into the kitchen and literally sits waiting for them to be ready. Detention Mr R!
200g plain flour
200g granulated sugar
50g cocoa powder
180 degree oven
Small square baking tin
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa.
- Melt the butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Mix until you have breadcrumb consistency. It will look quite dry – don’t worry – it will come together when you do the next step.
- Put the crumbly mixture into the baking tin and press it down with a fork until it is smooth.
- Bake for 20 mins – don’t let it burn.
- Take it out and sprinkle with sugar while still hot.
- Leave to cool a little then divide into 12 squares and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Hide it from Mr Robinson or whoever might pinch it in your house.
(It does also taste nice when hot but Mrs R prefers it when it has set like concrete! )