School governing bodies are responsible for working with the school to ensure that it delivers a good quality education. Together with the Headteacher, who is responsible for day-to-day management, the Governors set the school’s aims and policies.
Governors are people who have an interest in the role of schools in society and wish to make a positive contribution to their communities.
They will have enquiring minds and contribute to the effective running of the school and the educational achievements of its pupils.
Aligned to its improvement role, the governing body is there to be a ‘critical friend’ who can provide the right balance between supporting and challenging the performance of both the head teacher and the school.
Main aims of a Governing Body
- To ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- To hold the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- To oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
They also carry out a number of other important duties, which include:
- Determining how the school’s budget is spent.
- The appointing and dismissing of staff.
- Hearing appeals and grievances.
- Forming and reviewing policy on the school’s curriculum and collective worship.
- Setting standards for pupils’ behaviour and discipline.
- Making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe.
- Setting and monitoring the school’s aims and policies.
- Setting and monitoring the school’s development plan.
- Setting and monitoring progress towards challenging but achievable targets.
Brayton Governing Body
We are part of the Star Multi Academy Trust as of 1st November 2019
Our governing body is a satellite body under the MAT Board of Trustees. It is known as a Local Governing Body (LGB) and meets as a full group approximately once per month. In this way, every governor is fully involved in all aspects of governance.
The LGB has a close working relationship with the MAT Board of Trustees as detailed on the STAR MAT website.
Our Local Governing Board for 2020 / 2021
|Name||Type of Local Governor||Appointed||Office ends|
|Claire Callaghan||Chair||Trust Board||30/08/21|
|Wendy Thompson||Vice Chair||Trust Board||30/06/21|
|Joel Albyn||Vice Chair||Trust Board||30/09/22|
|Rev Pete Watson||Foundation||Ex-Officio||N/A|
|Pat Jarvis||Foundation||York Diocese||07/10/24|
|Vacancy 1||Parent||Elected by parent body||Four years|
|Vacancy 2||Parent||Elected by parent body||Four years|
|Jamie Wheeler||Staff||Elected by staff||07/10/24|
|Victoria Umpleby||Associate (Act Ass Head)||Invited to attend||N/A|